Rutland Waterworks District (RWD) has successfully been in operation since 1949. When Rutland became amalgamated with Kelowna in 1973, a stipulation of the amalgamation included keeping RWD in place to protect that water supply.
In 1957, RWD purchased land for a reservoir site, at the cost of $1,300, and an additional lot for a pump house. The following year, in an effort to learn about average consumption, four water meters were installed in three homes and one commercial business for one year.
In the late eighties, RWD began the process of upgrading their infrastructure, which included modernizing the system with computerized control systems, well rehabilitation, as well as computers and communication updates.
The primary legislation governing improvement districts is Part 17 of the Local Government Act. This statute governs the way improvement districts are administered, it defines powers and operations and prescribes procedures for taxation and borrowing.
The Water Sustainability Act and the Drinking Water Protection Act are other important legislation that improvement districts must oblige. The Drinking Water Protection Regulation provides the regulations governing RWD’s responsibilities for ensuring the safety of the public water supply and introduces laws specifically intended to protect source drinking water quality.